"Book-Cell" 2006 - This picture was taken by Luísa R. at CAM (Centro de Arte de Moderna da Fundação Gulbenkian) in Lisbon, August 2006.
MATEJ KRÉN was born in 1958 in Trencin, Eslováquia. After graduating from the Applied Arts Secondary School in Bratislava he continued his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Bratislava from 1977-81, and from 1981-1985 at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague.The artist currently lives and works in Prague.
MATEJ KRÉN's work is remarkable for its exceptional scope. In recent years his distinctive approach to sculpture, object, installation, drawing, print, painting, action art, film, music, sound and word has attracted attention at many prestigious international art shows.
The Book Cell Project, repeats the recurring procedure, in the work of this artist, of piling up thousands of books, creating an architectonic structure where we are invited to step inside.
"Idiom" - Instalation in São Paulo 1995
"Idiom" - Interior Space
The "Passage" represents a kind of symbolic "short cut across the world" in which we exist or dwell: through the factual, real world into the world of human culture, where reality is exchanged for another - virtual - reality, for the reality of word, text, sign, symbol, image, and back again. The project itself is a metaphorical synthesis of a number of formal semantic elements: an entrance, a path, "endless walls" of books, mirrors, light, an exit and even the physical presence of the viewers themselves.
The first photo was taken by Luísa R. from the blog Gotasdagua. The others photos and text were from MATEJ KREN's site.
You also can see Matej Krén's works at BookLust and at Gotasdagua.
I invite all of you to participate and also see books and bookshelves spreads on the houses of blogospehera's friends!
I also add a link on the city of our friends, so you can have the pleasure to know about their cities and countries!
1. Gená Franco, from Belo Horizonte, Brazil, of Entretantos...
2. Britt-Arnhild, from Trondheim, Norway of Britt-Arnhild's House in the Woods
3. Judy, from North Carolina, USA, of Imagine What I’m Leaving Out
4. Freefalling, from Victoria, Melbourne, Australia, of Freefalling.
5. Geraldo from São Paulo, Brazil, of 21st Century Grandpa
6. PJ, from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, of Golden Oasis.
7. Eduardo Penteado Lunardelli, from Imbituba, Santa Catarina, Brazil, of Varal de Idéias.
8. Belinha Fernandez Figueira da Foz, from Coimbra, Portugal, from Palavras Cruzadas .
9. Valter Ferraz, from Mongaguá, São Paulo, Brazil, from Perplexoinside.
10. Beader Girl, from Ontario, Canada, from Beader Girl Jewels .
11. Patricia Storms, from Toronto, Canada, from BookLust.
12. Mary, from Huntersville, North Carolina, USA, from Mary's View.
13. Cris, from Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil, from From Our Home to Yours.